Join Derby’s FREE festival to mark International Women’s Day on Saturday 8th March 2014 – come any time from 10am-4pm at the Assembly Rooms – Darwin Suite on the Market Place. Let’s celebrate women of all generations – past, present and future, and raise awareness of ways we can make the lives of women and girls around the world brighter, safer and fairer.
Enjoy inspiring workshops, live entertainment, multicultural arts & crafts, craftivism, science tasters, sports, women’s campaigns & causes, stalls, ‘me time’ in the Red Tent and global foods.
EVERYONE WELCOME – all genders, all ages, in all our diversity, with activities for children and a free crèche.
This event is organised by the community for the community by a non-profit group of volunteers – the event is FREE but we ask you to make a donation if you can. Thank you.
Thanks to everyone who has taken part in our consultations including our survey, social media and open meetings to help shape the festival, which will be on 8th March 2014, 10am-4pm at the Assembly Rooms. It is free entry but donations if you can are vital to our funding.
Here’s a sneak preview of the plans so far:
* The Red Tent – a special women-only space for reflection and celebration with drumming, psychic readings and lots more
* Variety of Workshops
* Science busking
* Arts & crafts including multicultural crafts, banner-making, empowerment dolls & self-portraits
* Stalls including No More Page 3, Vox Feminarum, Soroptimists, Derbyshire Football Association, Derby Co-op Women’s Guild, Positive Birth Movement, Oxfam Derby Campaigns Group, Friends of the Earth Derby, Endometriosis UK, Bralosophy, Spiral Arts, Upbeat Communities
* Performers – a diverse showcase of local talent including women’s and girls’ choirs, protest songs, cultural dance, sports skills & lyricism
* Children’s activities and creche
* Info on local services – education, health, police, council, citizen’s advice
* Foods from around the world
* Festival magazine highlighting local, national and global campaigns for girls and women
Want to be part of it? Contact us to get on the programme!
Help us plan the International Women’s Day (IWD) Festival Derby 2014 at our open meeting 6-8pm Wednesday 15th January 2014 at Children First, 13 Leopold Street, Derby. Join our friendly team of volunteers to find out about our aims, what we have planned so far and to tell us what you would like to see at the festival – there are opportunities for stalls, workshops, speakers & performers. Please let us know if you will be coming along so we can look out for you and give you a warm welcome – e-mail email@example.com or call/text 0791 368 0088 (dial 18001 first for Text Relay from a textphone).
The festival itself takes place 10am-4pm Saturday 8th March 2014 at the Assembly Rooms, Derby and is free to all the community to enjoy – we ask visitors to consider making a donation towards the festival costs if they can and this helps us make sure we can keep this annual event going strong. Thank you for your support.
We’re busy with exciting plans for the annual festival to celebrate International Women’s Day in Derby (all organised by volunteers) and inviting local groups and organisations to get involved. This event helps to raise awareness of gender issues, celebrate role models and inspire volunteering with causes for women and girls. It is a free event but donations are appreciated.
The last event in March 2013 attracted over 650 visitors – girls, women and male supporters too. The next one is on Saturday 8th March 2014, 10am-4pm at the Assembly Rooms, Derby. The theme for 2014 is Generations.